Monday, January 17, 2011

Optiv mentioned in BTK DOA Interview

source

BTK DOA Interview


DOA: We feel like your name has been bubbling for a while, but it hasn't been until recently that you've been getting your acclaim, with releases on Virus, Hardware, Subtitles and Uprising solidifying what people have known. How would you describe your style of Drum & Bass?

BTK: I define my music as percussive, dark, mean, sometimes moody, deep sub bass in your face, that's my sound, but I try not to pigeonhole it to one style. I've been DJing Drum & Bass music since 1999 and in 2008 I decided to focus 100% of my time into music production. I believe that it had a big impact on the quality of my sound, helping me to step up in the game, reaching the A-list record labels such as Renegade Hardware and Virus.

DOA: You're another cat who’s from Brazil. With guys like Marky, S.P.Y, Bungle and the like already making a splash on the DnB scene, how does your style differ from what they provide?

BTK: I really rate what those guys did and are still doing for the scene. Marky is an inspiration for me as a DJ, one of the best I have ever seen and was my first contact with the Drum & Bass sound. I could say that most of the Brazilian Drum & Bass has got that samba/feel good music, while I'm more on the mean side, aiming for the screw faces on the dancefloor. Since the beginning I always had support from Renegade Hardware's camp and that had a big influence on my way to shape my music.

DOA: You recently set up your imprint, Dutty Audio. Tell us about the reason for starting this label, and what you are looking at, goal-wise, for the label.

BTK: Dutty Audio is my own identity, the music I like and promote. Also, it's a good way to have my own outlet and release my beats in an independent way. I believe that's one of the main reasons why a producer/DJ starts their own imprint. Dutty Audio's first release is available only as digital format but, for the future I'm planning some releases also on vinyl, always aiming as a goal to release quality over quantity.

DOA: The first release on Dutty Audio is your Straight Up EP. Is this kind of the definitive statement the label is trying to make, or will we be seeing a varying of sounds/styles on Dutty Audio?

BTK: I have nothing against ideas to release a track that's not 100% Drum & Bass made by myself, or another artist that I like, but for now, I want to get the label identity firmly set.

DOA: We noticed that your forthcoming release schedule not only has tunes with the aforementioned S.P.Y., but cuts alongside Ink, Optiv, Uman and Resound. What's it like getting opportunities to link up with heavy hitters like that?

BTK: My friendship with Ink comes from a long way, since my days living in Brazil. He's always keen to help me with feedback on my tunes and good advice that got me to keep it going as incentive. We've been working on a series of Drum & Bass tracks and few other projects. Optiv is practically my neighbour here in Switzerland, which leads us to have more personal contact. We always have a good flow working in studio and from a few sessions together this year we're celebrating 2 tracks signed on Teebee's Subtitles called "Let It Hit Em" and "Jacknife" and recently, one of our new beats called "Backlash" has been taken by Ed Rush & Optical's Virus Recordings. Also, for being Brazilian, to work with S.P.Y happened on a natural way. Early this year we did a tune called "Save Me" that’s forthcoming on Total Science's C.I.A and we still got other things to be finished.

DOA: We saw that you've got a collabs EP coming as the 2nd Dutty Audio release - but no info regarding who you're working with! Can you give us some hints or info on what we can expect from that release?

BTK: The 2nd release will be a full remix EP of my first release on Dutty Audio. Octane & DLR, Genotype, Mindscape & Optiv are remixing the bits and I'm really looking forward to that. I could risk a release date for February / March 2011.

DOA: Can we get a current top 10 from you?

BTK:

BTK - Things I Do (Spectrasoul Remix)(Demand)
Optiv & BTK - Backlash (Virus)
Kitech feat. Zilla Rocca - Embryo (FreakMP3)
Octane, DLR & Survival - Spectrum (Audio Tactics)
Ink & BTK - 5 Elements (Hardware)
Meth - Perch (Raiden Remix)(OffKey)
Logistics & IllSkillz - Notes From Da Block (Hospital)
Chris.SU - Datahub (Mindscape Remix)(Subtitles)
Usual Suspects - Killa Bees (Phobia Remix)(Hardware)
BTK - Drop It (tbc)

DOA: How can artists get in contact with you regarding submitting demos for Dutty Audio?

BTK: It's easy to reach the label over AIM ("duttyaudio") or email at duttyaudio@gmail.com or getting in touch with any of these websites: MySpace, Facebook, SoundCloud, Twitter and YouTube.

DOA: Any final thoughts before we wrap this up?

BTK: Thanks for giving me this opportunity to get my music heard. It means a lot. Thanks everyone for supporting my music.

No comments: