Monday, January 24, 2011

Maztek mentioned in AEPH interview on BeatPortal

source

AEPH INTERVIEW ON BEATPORTAL


Growing up in Rome, listening to the likes of Bad Company and Dillinja while rocking out in death metal outfits, leading the life of a big-time drum & bass producer and DJ was a far-off dream for Simone Vallecorsa, aka Aeph.

Fast forward to the present and Simone is living that dream. Having moved to London and signed up to Bad Company’s imprint (imaginatively titled Bad Taste Recordings), Aeph is highly regarded as one of the most talented up-and-coming producers within the hard-edged community. Read on to find out more, and don’t miss his new single, ”Bad Wolf / Scumbag,” out today on Bad Taste. You’ll find his new Beatport Top 10 at the bottom of the post.

Can you tell us a little about your background? Where did you grow up, and where are you based now?

I grew up in Rome. In 2000 I was really into rap and old-school electro beats. In 2003 I started playing with a metal band called In Cold Blood (the members are still my best mates in Italy) and I suddenly got fascinated by the drum & bass vibe, thanks to producers like Bad Company, Dillinja, Blame, and Concord Dawn.

In those days I didn’t write so many tracks because I was focused on the band and on my sound engineer job, but I bought a pair of CDJs and I spent hours on them. Then I met some local scene promoters and they introduced me as a DJ in Linux Club, a really popular club in the Italian d’n’b movement. That experience was great and it helped me to understand my real vocation. In 2008 I moved to London, and now I’ve been here for three years. This city allows you to do what you really want to do.

What was one of the most influential records that got you into making music?

There are plenty of tunes that influenced my path, but the whole “Cybotron” EP by Dillinja was and it is still just too much. “Valve Sound” remains one of my favourite tunes ever.

How would you describe the music that you make?

It’s all about me, it’s just Aeph sound.

Did you have any mentors when you were starting out? Who helped you get established?

Arp Xp, Hlz and the Romastyle guys put their trust in me from the beginning, and I will always stop to thank them for the opportunities and the advice they gave me. I remember when Arp Xp was playing my first drum & bass tune on a radio show and talking about me—it was a great feeling.

How did you end up at Bad Taste Recordings?

I sent my track “Scumbag” to them, just for some feedback, and Jonas (Uman from Blokhe4d) was really into it. We decided to meet up at their place, and to my surprise I realised they are really down-to-earth guys. We always have a good time together talking about the scene and everything else. I’m so glad, and I feel lucky for that. I couldn’t ask for more.

When you sit down to make a track, what’s the first thing you typically do? How long does a track typically take you to make?

It depends; sometimes I start with a drum pattern or messing around with some VST, playing random chords or making basslines. Once I find the right riff I start to arrange the track straight away without thinking too much about how it sounds—but always trying to choose the right sounds that fit perfectly with the rest. This is probably the most difficult part. When a track takes more than four weeks to be finished, it means that there is something wrong. The tunes I arrange in two weeks are usually the best ones, because at the end they are still fresh and I’m not bored by them.

Where do you record?

I used to have my studio in the garage, but it was so freakin’ cold in winter time, so I moved it in the living room.

Do you currently have a favorite piece of gear/software?

I’m with Cubase 5 and I’m quite comfortable with it, especially for the audio editing. Native Instruments stuff is the best for the style of music I’m producing, but at the moment I’m really into MorphoX and the Tone 2 Gladiator VST. I’ve just bought a Liquid Mix from Focusrite and I’m also trying to get some nasty and stinky hardwares to step up my productions.

What two tracks are you playing out at the most at the moment?

“Contraire” by Neonlight, which is gonna be out on Bad Taste soon, and “Amigo” by Fourward.

What’s been your favourite gig as of late?

I’ve been in Puerto Rico recently and it was banging; I didn’t expect so many people, the place and the vibe were just perfect. Another wicked night was in Rome for the Get Numb Fest 2010 with Spor, Foreign Beggars, 2 Many DJs and many more. Sick vibe, huge crowd, and every time I play in my hometown in front of my people it’s a rare pleasure.

What other DJs and producers in your scene do you think deserve some more credit?

Hlz from Need For Mirrors is doing great. He knows what he’s doing, he just can’t write bad tunes. I hope my mates Dabs and Maztek will achieve what they deserve because they are kickass producers.

When you’re not listening to electronic music, what do you listen to?

I’m still a huge metal fan, and in my iPod I always have albums from Unearth, Lamb Of God, As I Lay Dying, Parkway Drive. I’m also a big consumer of movie soundtracks, especially the one from ‘70s/’80s. If I had to pick two names, I’d say Stelvio Cipriani and John Carpenter.

When you’re not making or playing music, what’s your preferred pastime?

Paying monthly for the gym that I never attend.

Tell us about your upcoming gigs and releases…

The next gig is gonna be in Granada, Spain, February 25. For anyone who might be interested, I’ve just joined the Diamond Society booking agency. About my forthcoming tunes, after the first Bad Taste release with Bad Wolf/Scumbag, there are two more tracks coming up on the mighty Bad Taste’s album volume 4, which is gonna be huge. Then, nothing is predictable.

Aeph Soundcloud

No comments: