Sunday, November 6, 2011

Falinox KMAG Interview!!!

source



Hailing all the way from the USA, Lifted Music is proud to present their latest signing - Falinox. Kmag met the man himself and listened to his forthcoming release Drift Out, out on November 7.

Falinox can you tell us a little bit about yourself? What’s your musical background and what got you into music?
I’m 22 years old, from Joliet, Illinois, which is about 40 minutes south of Chicago. I got heavily into music when I was about 13 or 14. I had always been into music but I found it was more suggestive of people around me and therefore had older influences. I definitely started to grow closer to music when I was able to form my own opinions and tastes. I began to play instruments around that age and soon got into digital art and electronic music as well. I also love beer.

When did you first start producing drum & bass?
Drum & bass had been a fascination of mine long before I even knew it was drum & bass. I think the first drum & bass record I heard was Ill Skillz I’ll Be There 4 U the Concord Dawn remix, which is a pretty epic first find. At the time I was a hardcore intelligent dance music fan, a slave to Warp Records, Hefty, Ghostly, etc, so when I heard it I was like, “Woah, this fast paced music...this is my kind of music.” But I first really started trying to produce drum & bass when I was 19.

The sounds on Drift Out are really interesting, futuristic and science fiction in nature; what influences your music in order to create this?
I did the tune quite a while ago. It’s nothing more than an embodiment of where I was in my life at that time. I only really remember working on the intro break, the rim hitting one with soloing synths over it, for an extended period of time. After that, the song took on a life of its own.

Falinox - Drift Out (Lifted Music) by Lifted Music

The track also has an A-typical arrangement, is this a conscious effort to sound fresh or just the way you naturally constructed the tune?
The track just ended up that way. The only real synonymous guideline I’m holding onto from track to track is trying to ensure that the music is progressive. I think that will definitely lead to ‘freshness’. You can almost call the arrangement naive, loosely holding onto the confines of drum and bass and I really like that.

Drift Out is being released on Lifted Music, how does it feel to have the support of such an important label so early on in your drum & bass career?
It’s awesome! So much has happened so fast because of it. The fact that Chris and Jon jumped on my sound early and wanted to get me out there was definitely reassuring. I’ve always been a pretty modest person when it comes to my music. I’ve received an overwhelming amount of support and criticism, which is so great for my growth as an artist.

You reside in America, can you talk about the scene over there for us Brits who are unaware and does your music embody the trends of that scene?
I actually know more about the worldwide drum & bass scene than the American one. Does that make me unpatriotic? I never came up through the American scene or was really actively involved in it. The American drum & bass scene feels remote to me, although it’s opening up more and more as my name is growing. I just happen to network more with people on your side of the pond, where the scene seems to have more weight. Having said that, if we’re looking at the larger picture, the electronic dance music scene has never been better in America. Kids are turning out in force to support their favorites. My music doesn't cater to any amount of American though. I do however try and bring more elements of writing from outside genres, anything to try a new angle and approach dance music with a different light.

What do you have lined up following this release?
I’m working on finishing up many things, for example a release for Liftdub, which is nearly done. Also, I’m talking to a few labels in North America which I’m really excited about; you’ll hear more about those further into their development. I’m working on lots of varying tempos and styles. My fear is that I’ll be pinned down as that drum & bass guy, or a dub step producer. I want people to invest in the whole experience so I’m tailoring songs around that idea.

Any plans for a tour soon or are you playing any events in the near future?
I’m doing a few shows in the USA right now. You can get the dates on my Facebook page. There has been a little talk about doing some European Lifted Sessions. I’m available though, contact my agency.

Words: Sam Oliveira

No comments: