Saturday, August 4, 2012

CDN BEATS: TNG – DJ SW@T - DJMAG.CA Interviews DJ SW@T


Source -- http://www.djmag.ca/2012/07/28/cdn-beats-tng-dj-swt/


CDN BEATS: TNG – DJ SW@T

July 28th 2012
On the 24th edition of BEATS I interview an already HUGE name in the female bass scene, DJ SW@T! Since 2005, DJ Sw@t has been hustling non-stop to ensure her place in the drum & bass industry. Her talent and love for bass has already gotten her much respect  as  a Canadian DJ, Producer, singer, and owner and founder of Drum & Bass Girls of Canada.  She’s got big tings coming up soon including shooting her second music video in under a year so read up! As always, if you or someone you know should be featured on BEATS, please holla at kpelletier@djmag.ca!

Name: Dee
Age: A lady never tells ;)
Current City: Winnipeg, MB
Style:  All styles of bass music
Label: Breakz R Boss / Viper Recordings / Foul Play
Hi, my name is DJ SW@T and I’m addicted to bass music.
What is the first EDM track that got your heart pumping?
Up All Night – John B. I heard it at a rave I knew I had to get my hands on that piece of vinyl. I probably played it at every gig for the first couple years owning it.
How did you come up with your alias?
My original DJ name was Dizzle. I think it lasted a whole 2 months before my friends said, “Why don’t you make your name mean something like SW@T – Sexy Woman @ Techs”. I figured any artist; drummer or singer tends to be sort of sexy when they are rocking out live to a crowd of people so it made sense and it stuck.
Who gave you your first gig?
Theo TZU also known as DJ Dexx back in the Winnipeg Jungle days gave me my first gig at the Die Maschine for their Extra Strength Saturdays weekly. I was the opening DJ, gig had started late so I only got to play for about 15 minutes to a whole 8 or 9 people including the DJs. I feel bad for them, it was probably a horrible first set but I loved every minute of it.
What’s your favorite part of the industry?
Besides the fact that I get to listen to new music all of the time it would have to be the friendships I make that is my favorite part of the industry. I love collaborating and working with new and likeminded people.
What’s you least favorite part?
I love sleep. I lose a lot of it when on tour and putting on events though it’s a small price to pay considering all of the fun and exciting experiences that come with it.
What’s the biggest challenge to you when it comes to making it as a DJ/Producer?
I think the biggest challenges are rejection and staying focused. Dealing with rejection is something you come to deal with a lot in the music industry (probably in most industries) however in the beginning it can really shake a person. You can let it make or break you. The second one it staying motivated and on task. I find it’s easy to be distracted and get set off course. It’s important to remind yourself what it is you are trying to accomplish.
Do you think it’s harder for a female to get started or make it in the industry?
Yes & No. I think there are advantages and disadvantages in being a male or female DJ. There are a lot of factors involved too. It depends on where you live, how you market yourself, what genres and style you want to have as an artist, if you produce and if there are any gimmicks involved as well.
As female DJs tend to be a bit rarer there is some excitement around them. Though with that comes a lot of judging (male & female) especially from any one that has experience in the industry. People watch/listen for any errors and tend to be far more critical with the girls then they are with the guys especially if they are getting a lot of attention early on.
Where does your musical talent come from?
I am a dancer at heart, from the time I could crawl I was moving and grooving to music. It didn’t matter if I was the first one on the dance floor or dancing to a crowd of people I didn’t know, I just knew I wanted to dance. I’d watch “Electronic Circus” and dance with my sister and cousin. I kept telling myself that one day I’d dance on that show. Hell, I was even making mix tapes for little dance parties when I was only 10. It was only natural that I become a DJ.
Who do you look up to?
There are 3 people I really look up to and there are some of my best friends. My Mom is my #1 person. She is the smartest, strongest women I know and I don’t know what I would do without her. My #2 girl is my best girl, Oana. She always sees things so clearly and is can always be honest but gentle with me. My #3 girl that comes very close is Jamie aka DJ Jams in Montreal, QC and too far away from me. That girl is strong willed, motivated and one of the sweetest most caring and giving people I know.  I am so grateful to have these wonderful women in my life. They’ve been my rock in times of need and inspiration when I needed it the most.
Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
I’d like to be running my own record label, touring internationally, have released an album on a well respected and known label and working with my favorite artists and singers. That is the goal at least and I am willing to do what it takes to make it a reality.
What can people look most forward to when you spin?
I think people can look forward to my diversity in music and ability to switch up the BPM with different skills and tricks. You never know what I might play, hell… I don’t know most times.
What’s the emotion you want your audience to get out of your music?
I want people to feel absolute freedom when they are enjoying one of my DJ sets. I want their worries and responsibilities to feel lifted and for them to feel at ease and inspired and motivated during and after a performance. These are emotions I’ve felt while listening to other artists and I want to give that feeling back to others. Music is the international language of the world and I think it has a lot of therapeutic benefits that can be used in everyday life. I want to create the feelings I get while listening to music.
How have you grown the most since you first started out?
Musically I feel my taste in music has matured and grown a lot. I use to only play Drum & Bass and now I find my sets can go in many directions. Even the stuff I produce can be so very different from what you’d hear in my live performances.
Who is the artist you would like to work with most and why?
If I had to pick one it would be Helios, which may shock most people since it’s on the opposite end of the party music I tend to play most. I love the feeling I get while listening to his music, it’s so melodic and eclectic at times. Burial and Skream come to a close second in people I’d like to work with. I would love to have the opportunity to see these guys in action and learn their tricks.
Where can we see you spin?
I am excited to announce that I will be headlining alongside Lisa Lashes and Vilify at the all female DJ line up “Sexy Sounds” in British Columbia Sept 13-15, 2012. This will bet be first time that my entire Drum & Bass Girls of Canada Roster will be playing at the same event. I am looking forward to seeing everyone play live and all of the new friends I will make.
What’s your ‘guilty pleasure’ track?
Anything from the Spice Girls. Come on… I know you listen to them too.
What’s your fav gig thus far?
I wish I could remember the name of the music festival, because it was amazing. It was in New York State a 3 stage event featuring Psy, Dubstep and D&B headliners. There was an unlimited supply or BBQ and beer 24/7 and I couldn’t stop going back for more. There is something about playing at an outdoor festival that you just don’t get from indoor events. I got to meet some of my favorite producers and even opened for one unexpectedly. I was talking to him without even knowing that it was him.
What do you parents think of you becoming a DJ?
My Mom and Step-Dad are extremely supportive. I think they are a bit foggy on some of the details but they know the important stuff. I feel bad for my Mom when I first started out. She probably wondered what the hell I was playing when I first start practicing and still lived at home.
Of all the tracks in your collection, which one is your ‘go to’ track?
I have this dubstep remix of Next Episode that people run on the dance floor for. I can’t for the life of me figure out who made it or where it came from. I remember spending weeks trying to find this track after hearing one of the headliners play it. It was nowhere for purchase and eventually a friend found it for me. To this day I don’t think it was ever released or else I would have purchased it and messaged the guy thanking him for making such an awesome tune.
When did you start producing tracks? What software do you use to create?
I always dabbled here and there with production but got heavier into it the past few years. I’ve made probably about 40 tunes, not all finish and some better than others. I started out with Reason and worked a bit in Reaper and recently purchased Cubase. I am just trying to get the hang of it now. I’ve had access to a lot of programs yet I find when you have too many, it’s like having too many new tunes. You don’t know where to start so I like to keep it simple.
Any you are most proud of?
If I had to pick the ones I can share I think Peace & Riot and Glitched Out are my favorite to date. My production tends to be very different from what I usually play out and I like how I surprise myself each time.
One thing I couldn’t live without is . . .
Music. Nuff said.
What’s your description of a DJ?
Simply put a DJ is a music sector that plays to the masses. Every DJ has their technique and style so I couldn’t make any one description. We are all different artistically.
What’s your description of a great producer?
I think a great producer is someone that produces music that they enjoy, that also moves others emotionally.
How is the scene in your eyes in the moment? Anything you would change?
The scene is what you make it. I think that as of late electronic music has become more widely acceptable and I am excited about the opportunities that come with that.
If there was anything I could change, I would hope to get more of an under grown feel and less of a top 40 electronic sound in some of the more popular electronic music stations. I find a lot of music tends to sound far too similar and would like to see producers stepping out of that cookie cutter mold and taking more risks. (The ones doing the more “popular” sound.)
What advice would you give to any other up and coming DJs/Producers?
I think the most important piece of advice I can give anyone is to KNOW what you want. If you do not have a goal and vision in mind you won’t know where to start or what to aim for. You are a brand and you need to figure out how you’d like to put yourself out there as well.
So often I hear people say, “It’s just a hobby and I’m doing it for fun.” It’s a pretty expensive hobby and you are probably better off getting an Xbox or to join a sports team if you are looking for a “new hobby” but ultimately that is your decision. If you want to go full force then I say you can accomplish anything you want in life, as long as you are willing to do what it takes. I also think people need to work with like minded people with similar goals in mind. Surround yourself with positive knowledgeable people it a must. I’m not talking about your local veteran that never made it and is grumpy telling you, “If I didn’t make it, no one can.” I mean working with successful people that know the ins and outs. Don’t be afraid to reach out to bigger artists as well. Be humble, be polite, be professional and don’t burn bridges. I am not saying you should let people walk all over you, but be careful about what you say about others and how you said it. Word gets around. It’s better to lead by example then go off course and make a fool of yourself. If you make a mistake, learn from it.
I could go on for hours with advice and I give it often when asked, but above all I truly believe that if you want something you will do whatever it takes to get it. That does not mean back stabbing, that means working your ass off and making time for the things that are most important to you. I hear excuses all of the time, “I don’t have time to produce and I’m too busy to practice DJing or promote myself.” If you can find time to sit in front of a T.V. or play video games you can find time to produce, DJ or promote yourself if it’s important to you. Any successful artist will tell you the same.
One word to describe my style would be . . .
Bass-Heavy
How do you stand out in the EDM scene?
I am not sure, you’d have to ask a fan, friend or family member. I know I stand out in many ways but I’m not sure what one way people know me for. It could be my taste in music, ability to switch up the flow and BPM of my DJ sets at any time or maybe even my stylish clothing and ability to jump on the mic and hype up the crowd. I do it all, DJ, Sing/MC even VJ so I don’t know what that one thing sets me apart, or maybe it’s the fact that I do it all. I’ll have to get back to you ;)
Tell our readers about the upcoming filming/event on Aug.5.2012 . . .
I am so excited. This is my second music video and only under a year, and now are we filming the next one. The track is forth coming on Canadian label, “Breakz R Bozz”. The tune is called, “Feel It” featuring my vocals and produced by Tripwave. Both Kyle Cross and Toronto is Broken did remixes of the track as well. It comes out late August.
We choose the Toronto is Broken Remix for the music video since it went best with the idea and story line we were going for. We wanted to get all of our fans, family, and friends involved in the process so decided we should through an event and get them in the video too.
August 5th, 2012 at the Tavern United Roof Top Patio we will be throwing the event/filming session between 6:00 pm-1:00 am featuring live djs: P_A, Treps, Black Forest, Tyler Critchon, Tripwave, SW@T and more.
ADDITIONAL INFO ABOUT SW@T
Not only do I DJ but I also VJ with my partner DJ P_A/iCandy. Here is our promotional video and links. We perform as K@_BOOM! The DJ VJ Duo. We take various movie & T.V. clips with explosions, dancing etc. and use effects and mixing to come up with eye catching visuals while mixing banging party tunes and bass music in the process. It’s new, it’s not something I know many people to be doing with live performances and we are excited to share it with the world.
More recently I was featured on the Track, “Bottled” produced by Inside Info and released on the Grow EP on Viper Recordings.
Another thing that should be mention is that I am the founder and owner of Drum & Bass Girls of Canada. It is a collective of talent female DJs/Producers and Singers that work together to promote, collaborate and showcase one another’s talents. We inspire and motivate one another. With our combine skills, knowledge and experience we create a unique and powerful group of women able and ready to take over the music world by storm.

HERE’S THE MIX:
Follow DJ SW@T:
Drum & Bass Girls of Canada Website: http://www.dnbgirls.com
Booking Agency: Cyber Groove AM http://www.CyberGrooveAM.com
Agent: Scott McCusker Scott@CyberGrooveProd.com

Thanks for reading! See you next week where I will feature another up and coming young Canadian talent!
Keri-Lyn Pelletier
kpelletier@djmag.ca
@KLPEA

No comments: