Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Gridlok KMag Interview - Jan 2012

source



We catch up with Gridlok to talk about his work with Blokhe4d on Bad Taste, his Project 51 record label and his recent release on Commercial Suicide.

Your two tunes with Blokhe4d have been released on Bad Taste and Hospital, but how did you end up working with them?
The first time I met Vegas was when he came to Miami with Fresh as Bad Company. We'd bumped into each other a bunch since then and always got along well. When he started doing Blokhe4d with Jonas we talked about linking up in the studio and made it happen on my last European tour!

How is the production process different when collaborating with a group that already consist of two people?
They obviously have their chemistry and I was this rogue entity coming into the picture. But we are all seasoned vets so it's all good switching it up sometimes. That's what collaborations are for! SWWWIIITCHHH!!!

In what ways do you think the tracks show your style and which do you think elements show Blokhe4d's?
We kinda layered the vibe of my beats with theirs and I think you can hear it in both tunes. It's got that funk break element to it but also Blokhe4d's power drums. Musically I think they are more melodic than usual for me and less melodic than usual for them, so we kinda met in the middle with a melodic feel but with dark notes. These tunes really are a hybrid!

The storming Bad Kat is already out on Bad Taste Recordings, can you tell us what the inspiration for that track was?
Well, I can tell you how the name came together! Everything was going great with the tune. We were taking a break and I decided to grab my phone. Their new kitten had decided to run amuck and knocked a potted plant five feet down onto my phone. It was shattered and I was pissed. When you are half way around the world it feels unsettling to not have your phone with you! So there was definitely this cloud over our heads for the remainder of the session and so we decided to name the tune after the little bastard!

No comments: