Friday, October 28, 2011

Prolific & Endboss Interviews by MediaContender.com

source - for all clickable links click here

Foul Play Records has just released new material from Hulk and Endboss. Out on vinyl as well as Beatport digital exclusive out now, these tunes have been getting a lot of play form the more hip hop centric bass DJs and they’ve been getting some good reactions. Foul Play have been working the game for quite some time now, and with the current standing of record labels and the future of electronic-based sounds and releases, it’s nice to see labels like this staying strong. We interviewed Carmel Ceravolo aka Prolific (one of the main men behind FPR) as well as Hulk AND Endboss, so no need for my rambling, let’s just get right into it.

Who created Foul Play Records? When?

Foul Play was created by myself (Joesph), Carmel Ceravolo, and Prolific. Back in 2003, I sat around wondering why I was watching dudes get put on and release music and why I wasn’t doing the same.

What’s the motto, or focus, that drives the label?

We don’t have a motto… more like a mindset, which is to create conceptual art through music regardless of the genre. I want people to hear the track, know it’s dope and see the collaborations of artists on the project and really say “Damn, that’s some next level business.”

What artists or labels are a source of inspiration to Foul Play?

I came up as a metalhead-turned-hip-hop-junkie and then dove head first into DNB. Classic artists are really what gave us the foundation or formula we utilize to do things properly and not make something fast and sloppy. We like it SLOW ROAST no FAST FOOD! (Shouts to my boy Klev!)
Our tracks are primarily high energy slammers that make you want to listen to the song over and over again. I never look to get inspired, more to just take elements from different equations through experience and create my own unique formula that people can vibe to.

What do you think are some of the biggest hurdles of creating and running a label?

For new labels today it is tough to get distribution and to get artists to sign projects. Luckily for us, we have had longevity in the hip hop, turntablism, dnb, and dubstep industries. We have worked with a lot of the distribution companies out there so we know who we want to stay with and how different people are doing business. I feel for guys trying to kick start a label today, it has to be tough. The toughest thing to get, even for us, is PR or proper exposure for releases.

“Many try to merge hip hop and dubstep, but few get it this right” – 6Blocc
What does the future look like for FPR?

Great! We have loads of fresh projects in the works. After we drop the upcoming Hulk and Endboss album, we have the legendary RAW/6blocc on deck with a slamming full length dubstep album that has all kinds of really fresh remixes and vocal features! Tim Ismag is underway with a new project for FP as well.

I’m still working on Prolific’s solo dubstep album, which will feature a lot of top-tier underground MC’s. I really like the dubstep tempo and how it allows me to market my real flavor of underground hip-hop. It does it in a way that is listenable to most and still has the foundation and the proper elements that get you respect on the street. Rebel music and really the lyrical content of the majority of real MC’s isn’t allowed in certain places but now with the dubstep genre we can really get it where it needs to go while still generating fans, revenue, and tours.
Our future like any other is dictated by free-will, and we plan on progressing with the freshest product possible and always building a brand the people will trust. On a side note I want to thank Media Contender and all my people that have made everything possible. Hope you enjoy the video and the new release new heaters coming soon to a bass cabinet near you!



Who is Endboss? How’d you get your start?

I started producing at 16. My mom got me two belt drive Gemini tables and a mixer. I saved up and bought a 3-second sampler and a four track recorder, which I eventually upgraded to an MPC and laptop. I would dig through my mom’s old records for hours looking for samples and loops, filling up cassette tapes with ideas. I was getting bored with hip hop so I started listening to DNB. More time went by, and a friend introduced me to dubstep. I was in love!

Who are your biggest musical inspirations?

That’s a hard one because there are so many of them. I guess if I had to name one it would be Mike Patton. There isn’t anything he can’t do musically. I like all kinds of music, and I’m always impressed when someone can do a few genres authentically.

Give us a play of your dream gig, from pre-set activities to how you end your night.

I would love to play Brazil, it just looks like a good time to me. As far as pre-set activities, I’m a simple man. Maybe a few drinks, a smoke or two or three or all night. I think a proper party doesn’t really end, people just get too smashed to continue.

Favorite non-electronic albums / tracks at the moment?

I like a lot of music so thats a hard one.. I’ve been listening to old funk records like Cameo, Gap Band, Funkadelic, ect. I’ve been gettin down to a good bit of 80′s also.

What’s up next for Endboss?

I have an album with Foulplay coming out in a few weeks, an upcoming EP with Koldfront, and I’m finishing up an EP for Badman Press.

How has living in Philly influenced you as a musician?

There are all kinds of great producers here, from every genre. That’s a dope thing because you get exposed to sounds you might not normally. A closed minded producer is a wack producer, you know?






Who is Hulk? What were you guys doing before you met at WMC two years ago?

Hulk is Claw and Richie August. Basically, Claw was doing his thing with Trillbass after spending a few years in the DNB scene. I had spent better part of 09 building myself as Richie August. We were both releasing tunes on a number of labels pretty much at the same time. Both of us had similar musical backgrounds. We both have strong metal and hip hop influences, and were then submerged in the drum & bass scene for years before we both got into dubstep.

Favorite non-electronic albums at the moment?

We have been rocking out hard to some MF Doom and an all Dj Premier mix we caught wind of.

What’s up next for Hulk?

Releases, collaborations, tours, more merchandise. You name it we are trying to do it all.

Do you think the cities that you’re from have had an influence on your sound or style? How so?

Absolutely. Me being from Chicago I have a strong house and juke influence and it’s apparent in my music. Same with Claw being from Houston. It ain’t hard to tell.



CLICK TO DOWNLOAD “PROLIFIC VS ADVERSE – EXCLUSIVE MEDIA CONTENDER MIX”
(Stream & Download Courtesy of Media Contender)

Tracklist

1. Kid Dre – Bottles in the Air (Bodie RMX)
2. 6blocc ft Ray Uptown – Grape Cigarillo
3. Freqax Music Box (Inventor/Coretex RMX)
4. Badbwoy BMC -Tired of the War
5. The Bassist and 6blocc- Untitled
6. Badbwoy BMC -Brooooo
7. Mind Killa -OMFG
8. Prolific Ft. Cojaxx and Planetary – This is for My Hustlas (Hulk RMX)
9. Endboss – Big Trouble
10. Endboss – Big Trouble Hulk RMX
11. Ace Hood – Go On Get It (Badbwoy BMC RMX)
12. Down Jones ft Armanni – The Chase
13. Dubzap – Brutal (Substacja RMX)
14. T2 – Heartbroken (Hulk RMX)
15. Waka Flaka – No Hands (Bodie RMX)
16. 6blocc -Blow Me Bitch
17. Claw – Fuck Up (Hulk VIP)
18. Endboss – No Defence
19. Animal X – Love Philosophy (Freqax RMX)
20. Death By Drums – Still Remained
21. Endboss – Blueprint (6blocc RMX)
22. Endboss ft Werd2Jah – Crusher
23. Down Jones ft Apollo – Walk (Command Strange RMX)
24. Kirkus -Love the Night
25. Ghostface Killah – Mighty Healthy (Mind Killa RMX)

No comments: